Thinking of moving in with your new partner? You may want to consider a cohabitation agreement. Here are 5 questions to help you decide if a cohabitation agreement is right for your situation.
- Do I own any property worth more than $50,000 ?
- Am I willing to share any of the property that I own now with my new partner?
- Do I intend to make this a long-term relationship whether we get married or not?
- If we break up after living together for 2 years or longer, do I think it would be fair to pay my ex spousal support for any length of time?
- If we break up after living together for 2 years or longer, am I willing to share a percentage of my property, or even its increase in value since the date we moved in together, with my ex?
Depending on your answers to these questions, you may want to consider a cohabitation agreement.
For more information and advice about getting a cohabitation agreement tailored to your specific situation, contact us. We can help.